Building our Optimist

We have previously built a boat in the Philippines, the Norwalk Island Sharpie 23 "Magayon". It was mostly built by a local carpenter and the quality was pretty miserable.  After shipping it to Indonesia and sailing it for some time it fell to pieces. After returning to the Philippines decided to build an optimist because the kids start to enjoy sailing and we wanted to try out better boatbuilding practices.

     
 No, of course not this one  Yes, this is the one  And this is how she looks like, when she was
finished

 


The Master Builder's Log

I started this log to keep track of the cost and labor requirement and some thoughts I have during the building process.

 22.9.2007   When transfering all the measurements from the plans to the plywood boards and trying to maximise the utilisation of the board Miriam said: "Now I see what all this math I learned in school can be used for." Maybe they should make boatbuilding part of the curriculum in schools. 
6.10.2007 Saturday, I worked for 4 hours on the boat, finishing fitting the stringers and working on the centerboard casing and the mast foot. I also bought new wood (replacement for the stringer that broke). In the evening in the pool while I was doing my laps I reflected on the day and why I felt so satisfied with it. It is so different working on something that takes shape in front of your eyes than sitting in front of the computer the hole day.
.... (Many logs missing)
10.3.2008

We now consider the little boat finished. The kids still need to agree on a name and one fiberglass coating on the bottom will still be applied but on principle she is ready to sail. We had launched in Taal and little improvements will be made piece by piece.

Building took 100 hours of Martin and and estimated 10 hours of the kids. The total cost was 660 US$ and 772 US$ for the whole project including some tools we did not have and had to buy.


Kata's Log

 


Miriam's Log

 

Go to top